Saturday, September 1, 2012

The End of a Short, Albeit Intense, Era


Toronto Canadian National Exhibition (CNE)

And then came Toronto – the last spot of the season for me, and anyone else who wasn’t going to the US to do the winter fair circuit down there.   Originally I wasn’t supposed to go to Toronto – I was going to leave after Prince Albert to get back to Red Deer on time for when college started at the beginning of September.  The CNE plays through Labour Day, so it meant being about two weeks late to start college.  Terry and the crew worked really hard at convincing me to do Toronto with them.  It’s the longest, and by far the busiest, spot of the Canadian season and they needed me.  I balked, and Terry finally convinced me by promising me that he would pay for me to get home after Toronto by any means that I chose.  I think he expected me to choose to fly, but I chose the train.

We didn’t get our week off between Regina and Toronto, but we did get one complete day off and I spent it going off the lot exploring around Toronto a little bit.  I walked around Queen Street and through the Fashion District a little.  That kind of blew my little-city on the prairie brain.

The CNE is twenty-one days long; opening daily at 10:00AM and closing down around 12:30AM.  This year, though, we rarely got out before 2:30AM.  The local crew who was hired to clean up the grounds after we closed was on strike because they were only making $16/hour.  So, us Conklin employees, who average about $2.00 to $2.50/hour after everything is said and done, had to stay late after work every night and weren’t allowed to leave until every last scrap of litter, every last cigarette butt was picked up. 

Toronto was busy enough that our privileges had to be stripped, and sometimes we were lucky to get one one-half-hour long break a day.  If we did get a longer one and then it got busy, we’d have to come back to work if Terry could find us.  So, I didn’t even go home on my good breaks; I disappeared instead.

Toronto was also when Lee came to work with us.  She’s a nice lady, but I didn’t enjoy working for her.  She had been John’s manager for six years but then finally quit because she hated it.  The money called her back, but it was really too late by then – things had moved on.  John was a manager by then, and you can’t have two managers for one joint.  Terry knew that, but Rusty couldn’t say no to Lee, and so Lee and John and I all walked on eggshells in Toronto.  Lee completely destroyed the well-oiled machine that had been the big joint while John and I had been the team working it.

After the first couple of days in Toronto, Ian disappeared.  I suspect he went to his girlfriend in PA who had him convinced he had gotten her pregnant, even though, obviously, if the girl was pregnant, Ian wasn’t the father.  They hadn’t known each other long enough for her to be certain she was pregnant if Ian were the father.

Toronto tires a person to the core.  Seven or eleven days at one spot is endurable, but twenty-one days non-stop is harrowing.  It doesn’t help that Toronto is the most objectionable, snotty crowd of people you’ll ever see when they’re at the fair.  I couldn’t stand people by this time, so I spent as much time as I could hiding in the back sticking hot dogs.  I resented it if John or Lee even helped me because I wanted to do it all; it stopped me from having to serve all the (shudder) people.

One of my favorite memories is leaving the cookhouse, following about 20 feet behind CJ, one of Rick’s roommates.  We were in the middle of the CNE, and everyone was beyond exhaustion.  CJ was walking so slowly… shoulders stooped… that he was almost standing still.  A very pretty young woman walked past him, and in slow motion, he turned his head to watch her walk by.  I thought to myself wow… you’re completely exhausted but you still have that in you… I’m impressed.  When he’d turned nearly completely around, he saw me watching him.  I laughed.  He laughed.  We shared a laugh, but not a word.  Then we went, slowly, back to work.

Because everyone is so tired during the Toronto show, there’s an incredible amount of injuries during the time.  Rick was one of them.  He was fixing a Scare on his dark ride - a witch that jumps out of a barrel - and accidentally stuck his finger into the “scissor action” workings of the machine.  Chopped the end right off.  (That was good for about two hours off to go to the hospital).

I wasn’t so thrilled with my crew anymore, either.  Sue was driving me absolutely nuts.  She got away with murder because of her relationship with Terry.  I was still mad about the night we were tearing down in PA (EVERYONE helps tear-down, even Rusty when he’s around).  All Sue did was carry her ferret back and forth between the two joints, so the ferret could watch us all working.  I was furious with Terry for letting her get away with everything she got away with, and I was furious with Rusty for letting Terry let Sue get away with it.  And Lee and John were always on each other about who was supposed to be running the joint.

Heading Home

After I agreed to finish out the Canadian season, Terry tried really hard to convince me to continue on past Toronto, heading down into the US to do the winter fair circuit down there.  I wasn’t completely sold on the direction I was going with college – I was still doing general studies trying to sort out what my path would be – and maybe I could have been persuaded, but Rick and I wanted to stay together and because of his criminal record, he wasn’t able to cross the border into the states. 

I declined to continue on with corndogging my way through life, and I asked Terry to buy me a train ticket back to Red Deer.  In 1987 we still had passenger trains that went across the country.  Rick and I booked train tickets together, and he, thankfully, insisted on getting a berth so we’d have a decent place to sleep. 

I checked into a divey hotel in Toronto with bugs and a shared bathroom, and I waited for Rick.  Although I was done at the end of the Toronto spot, Rick had been asked to drive his truck to the border before leaving his crew.  There was a bit of a snafu at the border, and Rick was told that it was ok for him to drive the truck beyond the first border crossing booth and then turn around.  When he got there, though, the authorities (I’m not sure if it was the Canadian or American authorities) nabbed him for trying to cross into the United States.  It took him a while to convince them that he was NOT trying to cross into the US – he’d specifically made an effort to stay in Canada. 

He was several hours late getting back to Toronto, and if he hadn’t convinced them to let him go, I would have assumed he’d changed his mind and left me there, and I would have gone to get on the train by myself.  Thankfully, he did show up, though, and the two of us traveled to Alberta on the train.

No comments:

Post a Comment